The star-in-hiding aka cornbread muffins
Cornbread is a staple in our home, especially during the cold winter months when soups and stews seem to take over every meal. This gluten free cornbread is a star in hiding as it’s the perfect side to most mains, soups and salads. You can eat it cold or warm it up, either way you will love it. I added jalapenos to this dozen, but often add shredded cheese, rosemary, basil or even pumpkin seeds. It’s a perfect snack when a craving strikes and makes an excellent lunch box addition.
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 c applesauce
- 1 egg (or flax egg)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup almond milk mixed with 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup GF flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp GF baking soda
- 3 jalapenos (2 diced and one sliced into rounds)
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with paper liners OR lightly grease with coconut oil.
- Melt coconut oil in a large bowl.
- Add applesauce, mix well.
- Mix in egg and sugar.
- Stir in salt, baking soda, and diced jalapenos.
- Add almond milk and mix.
- Add cornmeal and gluten free flour and mix well. Adjust with flour if consistency is too thin and more almond milk if too thick.
- Fill muffin tin about 3/4 full and top each with a few jalapeno slices.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Tops/sides should be golden. Remove from oven and let stand for a few minutes. Transfer to airtight container and cover with clean tea towel to keep warm.
- Serve and enjoy!
- These gems will keep fresh for a few days in an airtight container. If for some reason you have some left over, they do freeze well.
About Dr. Michelle
Dr. Michelle is a Naturopathic Doctor and proud mom. Supporting families throughout all their important milestones. Optimizing health... Naturally! Women's Health. Children's Health. iv Nutrient Therapy.